7 – 9 PM @Hewing Hotel
Aufguss steam sessions are a German tradition that helps practitioners enjoy the full physiology of hot/cold conditioning through sauna.
During these guided steam sessions the host (or Saunameister) gradually increases the intensity of the experience by adding steam to the rocks. The secret and art of Aufguss is creating and distributing steam in a way that makes the steam soft and relaxing, as well as intense.
The softness of the steam, aromatherapy and breathing cues help activate the thermoregulatory system to actively regulate the body’s temperature.
Aufguss helps practitioners enjoy the full physiology of hot/cold conditioning through sauna. During these guided steam sessions the host (or Saunameister) gradually increases the intensity of the experience by adding steam to the rocks. The secret and art of Aufguss is creating and distributing steam in a way that makes the steam soft and relaxing, as well as intense. The softness of the steam, aromatherapy and breathing cues help activate the thermoregulatory system to actively regulate the body’s temperature, which is as helpful for staying cool and comfy in the summer as it is to warming up in the winter.
Guests will enjoy three guided sauna rounds with special “steam recipes,” consisting of water-pouring and steam-throwing techniques with essential oil aromatherapy crafted to increase circulation by activating the body’s thermoregulatory system.
Each steam round is 10 – 15 minutes and is followed by a 20-minute cool down relaxation round and optional ice bath reset.
What to know…
* Sauna Meister on hand to ensure optimal sauna conditions that expose guests to the full mental, physical and social benefits of the thermic bathing experience.
* Access to Rooftop Bar and Lounge (ask upon checkin if you’d like to pre-order your meal or drinks post sauna session).
* Cold plunge – for full hot/cold conditioning
* To ensure optimal comfort and safety of our guests, space for these sessions is limited to 22.
* Must be 21 years of age or older to be on the rooftop.
* Locker room and showers available.
* Bathing suit mandatory (we aren’t in Finland).
* Flip flops recommended to enhance and prolong your outdoor, winter rooftop patio and lounge experience.
* Please rinse/shower before using the sauna and/or pool. There is a shower in each locker room as well as an outdoor shower on the rooftop patio.Guests will enjoy three guided Aufguss sessions with individual “steam recipes”
* Be aware that it can get very hot on the top row during an Aufguss session. If you’re new to Aufguss, choose a spot on the lowest level.
* If the heat becomes too intense for you, change seats to the lowest level or sit on the floor. You can always leave the sauna, but try to challenge yourself to stay until the end..
The Aufguss ritual increases blood circulation, helps to eliminate toxins, boosts the immune system, relaxes the central nervous system and has a muscle-relaxing effect.
It also improves mood and mental wellness, especially if combined with a pleasant fragrance. If you’re feeling stressed out or tired Aufguss sessions are a great way to shift your “mental state” to a higher level and reconnect with your inner core.
Meet the Meister
In addition to his professional career as a product & service designer, Alex Troitzsch is an advocate for life enrichment and enhancement through sauna and “German Aufguss”, a wellness and purification ritual which is performed in the sauna for maintaining good health, emotional balance, relaxation and overall happiness.
Alex is also a dedicated practitioner of breath work and meditation. In seeing how something as simple as breath could quickly affect his mood, thoughts and actions, Alex began to incorporate meditation related aspects into the sauna Aufguss rituals he offers. The practice is powerful and profound, and has shifted how he feels about himself and has affected many people close to him.
“The Aufguss Experience had a tremendous impact on my life. Regular exercise strengthens the immune system, reduces stress, helps loosen up your muscles, boosts your mood and enhances overall quality of life. These empowering results helped me realize that so many people can benefit from this practice. I took advantage of the opportunity presented by the Sauna Society and joined the team to host ‘German Aufguss’ sessions as a Saunameister and instructor. I want to help people to enter a higher state for a short period of time by providing Aufguss and deep relaxation. Shared enthusiasm and satisfaction and the smiles on people’s faces after an Aufguss session are the greatest reward for me.”
Most recently Alex started working on a coaching program integrating 4 pillars: personal development, mindfulness, intense physical experiences (aufguss sauna, cold exposure etc.), and design thinking.
Learn more about Alex and his Aufguss practice on his website: http://saunawithalex.com/
If Minnesotans are one thing, they are a society of hearty, outdoor-loving enthusiasts who find ways to embrace the extreme climate changes found in the north. The Hewing Hotel’s rooftop and sauna and Soaking pool was inspired by the Nordic sauna tradition with a modern twist.
Dates and Registration
(Select a date below to register)